Why were some boats made without bilge pumps?

BugsBunnyBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1975 19 foot Mako and it was made with no bilge pump and no outlet on the back or side to add one.
My big question is do all boats need bilge pumps.
Are some boats just built so tight water will never enter them?

Susquehanna Squid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Why were some boats made without bilge pumps?

You should always have a bilge pump! Even if you have the most watertight boat in the world I have seen rain put a fair amount of water in a boat and if you forget to put the plug in a notice it a mile from shore you will wish you had one. I have a bilge pump hardwired and also a spare just in case.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

well i would turn your statement around and ask; if its so water tight, water cant get in. how will it get out if it ever gets in?

i think i would add a bilge pump to be safe

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Rain should not have much effect on the Mako because the deck is self bailing I believe. Jon Boats and Most Pontoons don't have them. IMO if there is a deck in the boat and you can't see the Bilge you should have a Pump. To drain a Jon Boat or other small boats you can pull the plug while at speed and the Bilge will drain quickly.

I would Add a pump

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A bilge pump is recommended in any boat (at least one with some sort of electrical system) and a manual pump if the boat does not have an electrical system. However, in the case of small boats where the operator can easily reach the drain plug, as mentioned as long as the boat is moving at a fair speed the entire stern is above the water line so you simply pull the plug and drain the boat. Stick the plug back in before you cut the throttle. If you can't reach the drain plug then a pump in my view is mandatory or you best not get any farther away from shore than you are able to swim. As to why they aren't included on all boats, it is probably because the boat design (like a pontoon) doesn't have a bilge or because the bean counters at the manufacturer deemed it a cost savings.

BugsBunnyBoater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In my case I am adding a pump to my boat. By my point is Why were 19 foot
Mako's made without bilge pumps.

MudSkunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

usually the right answer is the most simple. because it was cheaper for them not to at the time.

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer

As stated already, it?s just cheaper to sell it that way. The 09 Bayliner 175 now comes with one from the factory but previous years did not (if one was equipped it was reflected in it's price).
You can thank the bean counters for omitting a necessary item in my opinion.