1979 Trophy Pro transom replacement

InTheRiver

Cadet
Hello everyone, new to the forum. I've been reading and reading for the past few weeks about transom repair and fiberglass work. I've decided to take on my own project. I picked this boat up a few weeks back and knew it would need a transom. Being the guy I am, I always get in over my head. At first I thought about cutting off the back skin, decided that would be a bad idea as I've never worked with fiberglass and the 2 people I know that have, well they haven't in 30 years. I decided the bast plan would be to remove the cap, it doesn't seem all that difficult to do, disconnect all the lines, ect. and lift:rolleyes:. My question to you boat pros is there anything that I may have missed about pulling the cap? The only post I read where it said to be carefully seemed to be with the bow riders windshield not lining up. My trailer has bunks and rollers along with guide ons, I don't think support is going to be a problem. I am pulling the motor today and plan on lifting the cap tomorrow, then remove the rotted transom. I still haven't figured out what resin or wood I am going to use, seems to be a lot of choice in this department any help is much appreciated thanks. Brennnen.

I've done as much research as I know how and I can't find anything about this boat, has anyone ever had one or know anything about it?

IMG_1275.jpg

IMG_1288.jpg

IMG_1280.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 Trophy Pro transom replacement

hi.....welcome to iboats !

im looking forward to seeing this proj

even tho i havent seen your identical boat done on this site....thats no big deal, all of the tri hulls are built the same way,

the best tutorial for you to use right now is .....johns' "pic of work so far"

also redfurys "oooh im grinding again".....just look on the main page for those two threads.....they are simelar boats and theos guys have done it all to their boats.

also read the fiberglass info sticky at the top of the page.....it has good info an lots of stiuff.

if you read hull extension in progress....at least up to the transom and stringer instlation.....you will learn all you need to know about glassing and the safety involved

as far as the transom wood......go buy that today...it needs to start drying asap......yes....drying.
regular exterior grade plywood with one good side will do fine....(with out getting into the nitty gritty....its the cheapest, best, dryest that will last over 20 years.

hope that helps.

cheers
oops

InTheRiver

Cadet

I was talking with someone that does fiberglass and transom repair today, it appears that the floor of the cap is glued down to the hull. The easiest route is to cut the back 1'1/2-2' of the cap off thats right over the transom. I really didn't want to cut the cap but the boat will eventually be repainted. I also tried to pick up a chain hoist, the store had one yesterday when I was "looking" then when I go to buy one there all out.

Oops thanks for the info I will look into those. I started to read your thread today...I think its going to take a wile LOL

InTheRiver

Cadet

I got the motor off yesterday, and to the guy that stripped the nut that holds on the throttle linkage :mad: *&^*&*&. Ok I feel better now. I am going to have a local fiberglass shop do the transom repair, I want to get the boat wet this year not next LOL. Plus the quote they gave me keeps it in the budget, I was saving for paint, I guess I'll do that part on my own. Only pic I have is from the cell phone, it shows the motor hanging.
0609092057.jpg
Brennen