Outboard issues

kingzoo2

Cadet
I have a Mercury 175(1993) OB w/260 hours on it. When idling for long periods of time(10 minutes in marinas) it begins to struggle and stop running. Also, pas few times out it has stopped running. I have noticed that the in line fuel filter is completely empty of fuel when this happens. I have begun pumping the fuel in and get a lot of resitance at first. I have replaces the fuel filter and the fuel hoses and it still happens. Any thought???

Thanks

coolguy147

Commander
Re: Outboard issues

make sure ur vent is open.

will pumnping the bulb help it stay alive when ur running it? or can u not pump it?

kingzoo2

Cadet

I can't reach the bulb...My wife could and that did help. I have replaced the fuel hoses...they did not look bad on the inside. I did not replace the bulb.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

When you pump the primer bulb and it makes a positive difference in the running of the engine the fuel pump usually the culprit.

HOWEVER, a weak fuel pump fails to provide full fuel at WOT.

Your problem is something failing at an idle.

Pumping the primer ALSO pressurizes the fuel line between the primer bulb and the fuel pump. If you was to have a small air leak at any point between these two then at idle the fuel pump may be sucking more air than fuel, you simply are running out of fuel.

First place to check is the fuel line connector to the engine, take it off and throw it away, run straight hose from the primer to the fuel pump to reduce the likelyhood of an air leak.

A simple test is to temporarily install a clear hose between the fuel pump and carbs, watch for any air bubbles while running.

Just remember to replace that clear hose once finished with your testing and repair.

kingzoo2

Cadet

not sure if this makes a difference...when we pump the bulb, there is resistance at first and then it seems to break the resistance and fill the fuel filter quickly ...when we start, the inline fuel filter is empty.