Mercruiser 3.0L poor idle

axxe

Cadet
The boat is an 2007 Bayliner 19ft bowrider with a 3.0L Merc in it. We took delivery of it in 2008 as a left over. The idle was always a little low and rough. Now the boat will not idle. It just stalls. It has about 50hrs on it. Any suggestions what might fix this? I don't want to pull it and tow it to the dealer if it is something that can be easily fixed.

axxe

Cadet
Re: Mercruiser 3.0L poor idle

It is still under warranty, but it a about 40 minute tow to the dealer. I figured if it was something simple, I would do it myself.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Take it back to the dealer. Thas better than you adjusting it and then something else happening later and them seeing you adjusted it and voiding your warranty all together.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

If its a tks carb, the only adjustment you can do is an idle speed, the idle mixture is blocked off. Its the only screw you can see on the side of the carb linkage, you can try turning it up/in a bit. You want the thing to idle about 650 in gear on the water, use a shop tach instead of the boats tach if you can.

axxe

Cadet

I pulled the ditributor cap. It was very corroded. I replaced it and the rotor. Runs great now.