force 120 wont start....

paddy 1336

Recruit
hi all....i had my bayliner out last week,120 force an stupidly didnt put enough oil in for the mix an now fly wheel wont turn wit the plugs in.....i removed the plugs an it turns no prob...i have also pud in some wd 40 to the 4 holes where plugs came out from.....will this work or what should i do?????

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: force 120 wont start....

Sounds like you may have more that one problem.

Motor not turning over with plugs installed sounds like bad battery connections, bad battery, or bad starter.

Running the motor without enough oil can do some serious damage. You need to do a compression check to see if the cylinders are OK.

paddy 1336

Recruit

battery an connections are all fine....did a compression test an also fine....

wilgil

Cadet

Why not try putting in one spark plug at a time? That why you might find out which cylinder/s is/are causing the problem.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Double check the battery cables at each connection point. Positive cable at the starter solenoid (two connections there), and ground cable where it is bolted to the block. If these check out OK, then I would suspect the starter, or battery may be shot.

Try a different battery if you can. A known good battery. Use a set of good quality jumper cables. Clamp the negative cable from the test battery to the block and just momentarily touch the positive cable to the stud on the starter. You should see a good size arc, but the starter should turn the motor over with the plugs in. If it still doesn't turn the motor over, then the starter is probably the culprit.

paddy 1336

Recruit

hi all.....tanx for your help.....got the problem sorted.....it was a spacer that was missing on the top of the starter....this also houses the spring....the nut had come off out at sea....found all the pieces apart from the spacer.....got one off another starter an away she went........happy days

CapCramer

Seaman Apprentice

That was a close call. Glad to see your back on the water~~~~~~