Good Novice Loading Question

BigDaddy5517

Cadet
Well I have a 1969 19' Evinrude Sport Fisherman 120 with the original Evinrude trailer. I have only taken this boat out maybe 10 times in the last 14 years and every time I do I can't seem to find an easy way to load it on the trailer. Now the question. Is it normal to winch the boat up on the trailer to load it? I ask this because I was told I could damage the boat this way. Also I tried this somewhat a while ago and this boat being as heavy as it is was almost impossible to winch up. On the other hand when I did try that one time and the bottom front of the hull scraped the trailer walking plank and gouged the fiberglass. These walking planks are steel with a rough skid resistant coating. Based on some of the other posts I have read I am guessing that I had the trailer in the water too far and the angle of the boat was too steep. And as you can tell I don't know a lot about boating other then I like it and want to learn more about it. So any advise would be nice. Thanks

CaptOchs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Good Novice Loading Question

Well I have a 1969 19' Evinrude Sport Fisherman 120 with the original Evinrude trailer. I have only taken this boat out maybe 10 times in the last 14 years and every time I do I can't seem to find an easy way to load it on the trailer. Now the question. Is it normal to winch the boat up on the trailer to load it? I ask this because I was told I could damage the boat this way. Also I tried this somewhat a while ago and this boat being as heavy as it is was almost impossible to winch up. On the other hand when I did try that one time and the bottom front of the hull scraped the trailer walking plank and gouged the fiberglass. These walking planks are steel with a rough skid resistant coating. Based on some of the other posts I have read I am guessing that I had the trailer in the water too far and the angle of the boat was too steep. And as you can tell I don't know a lot about boating other then I like it and want to learn more about it. So any advise is would be nice. Thanks

Depends. Are the rollers in good shape on your trailer? It doesn't sound like it. If they don't move smoothly you should grease them. Can you attach a picture to the post? It sounds like you might need to make some adjustments to your trailer fit your boat better.

You launching techniques vary depending the the ramp because some ramps are steeper than other. For most ramps I'll try and get the trailer deep enough so the boat makes contact with the roller about half-way on the trailer. That way the boat centers itself when it climbs onto the trailer.

MudSkunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if your boat is making actual contact with the metal bits of the trailer your trailer is either not deep enough in the water or not adjusted for the boat correctly. a good way to learn is go to a busy boat ramp and watch how other people are doing it for a while. you will see good and bad techniques and after a bit it will become obvious which works and which doesnt.

i would recomend taking your rig to a marina and having it checked over to make sure the trailer is adjusted correctly and you are not missing a key part or key parts are all functioning correctly and in good working shape.

Frontrow

Recruit

Depends. Are the rollers in good shape on your trailer? It doesn't sound like it. If they don't move smoothly you should grease them.

CaptOchs...What do you recommend for lube or grease for trailer rollers? I've got multiple rubber rollers on my trailer (carrying a 16.5 ft Sea Nymph Deep V, about 1,300 lbs). The boat rolls off and winches up OK, but I know I'll need to lubricate the rollers at some time. Is there a sprayable lube to use?

By the way...First post...Awesome site and forum. I'll be spending a lot of time here searching for the answers to a lot of questions I have...This is my first boat...