No forward or reverse

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, thank you all for your time. I tried searching this topic but only found info regarding outboards.

I have an 03 Four Winns Vista 268 Volvo I/O and I went out yesterday for the first time this year and tried to go forward. First it rev'd a little high, then 'kicked' into forward. Seemed ok for a while and went out for a little bit. Then came back and went into reverse...seemed ok, but then went back into forward and go no response...just engine rev. Then, tried to go back into reverse and then nothing there now! Just engine rev as well. Any thoughts?

My marina took the drive out for the season and put everything back in. Did they do a crap job in putting it back? Did cables fail? Thanks again for any of your thoughts.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: No forward or reverse

Sounds to me like you have a linkage that wasn't hooked up properly What did they take the outdrive off for?

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice

The marina service center took the drive off for winter storage. Is that the best thing to do or is it better to leave it on? I had them 'winterize' it and they recommended to store the drive instead of leaving it on.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Your boat is 6 years old...Any idea when (if) the shift cables were serviced (adjusted) and or replaced?

Thats the first place I would look..But others here are much schmart'r than I am..Thank the Lord!;)

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice

We bought the boat used last year and I can say that I don't think the cables were ever serviced or changed. I do know that the throttle was always very, very stiff to move forwards or backwards. Maybe that was the problem but I didn't have the experience to know that the stiffness could indicate they should be changed or serviced? I wish I could have the marina check them today but they're closed...

I figured I'd get some other opinions so I could be somewhat educated when I speak with them. Thanks again.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The shift cable has to be disconnected at the drive to take the drive off. You can take the back cover off of the drive and check the adjustment and to see what is happening. Basically, all you have to do to adjust these is to make sure the drive is in neutral, make sure the control is in neutral and then adjust the barrell on the the cable to match up with the linkage on the drive and put the cotter pin back in.

If the cable was really that hard to move, I would suggest replacing it. Should move easily. If you use the boat in salt water, they do get corroded over time and need to be replaced.

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all for your thoughts. I'll have the marina check the cable (I guess we'll have to haul her out..) but would you say it was something the marina did in terms of not installing the drive correctly or was it something that simply 'went'?

I ask as so far I haven't been too impressed with my service center and maybe I'll try to switch service yards.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Let's hope its just the shift cable and nothing more major like engine coupler or not having enough lube in the drive and the cone clutches failed.

gemajean

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks bruceb for your additional thoughts. I was going to ask what else it could possibly be and I see the other things you're suggesting.

The other possibilities don't sound too good, huh?