Can a kickdown lever be added to a carb w/o one?

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander
I had enough problems with my 390 this weekend that I swapped my Edelbrock 650 with my Step-father's 750 Holley off of his Merc. Long story short, no more silver carbs for me. However, the Holley does not a have a kickdown lever/actuator on the carb (lever on the carb, not the rod going to the tranny) and I can't see how to remove all of that throttle linkage in order to add one. Looks like everything was press-fit at the factory. Is it possible to add one or am I going to have to buy another carb? Thanks.

MikDee

Banned
Re: Can a kickdown lever be added to a carb w/o one?

Kickdown? In a boat? :eek: :confused:

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

This is the non-boating section.:p Actually it's on a 1968 Ford F100. 390ci C6. Carb model 4160, manual choke, square bore. I found adapters for other models but not the 4160s.

390NewWires.jpg

puddle jumper

Captain

I don't think you can. You will probably have to say with the manual choke system or go to another carb.

Nice looking engine.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the compliment!:) A Ford FE forum posted a linkage kit from Jegs. Odd that it was not on Holley's website. Looks like I'll have to drill out some stuff and tap it for screws in order to do the swap. Rather involved & a bit of a pain but at least it's do-able. Everything I've read says that 750 is about 100cfm too much carb for that engine so now I've got something else to consider. whee.

MikDee

Banned

I wasn't sure there was anything available to do this without having to custom make it. I'm glad you found a linkage kit at Jegs ;)

You've done a nice job on that engine! :cool:

fast50

Seaman

just buy a universal kick down cable and bracket kit