90HP Johnson overcharging?

Jon1800cc

Recruit
Hi all...I have a 1998 Johnson 90hp and put a new battery in it this year and now the voltmeter goes to 16 volts or a little higher when running, stays around 15 to 15.5 at idle. Is there a voltage regulator on this model...Model# J90TSLECM. It has a small round three wire rectifier on the starbord side of the block and it tests ok. My last battery lasted two years. I have checked and cleaned all the battery and ground connections and tested it with a multimeter to verify the voltmeter accuracy. I don't remember seeing it charge this high before. Any help is greatly appreciated...Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90HP Johnson overcharging?

The parts list for that motor shows a rectifier/regulator (rectangular, with 5 wires), as well as a rectifire assembly (3 wires). sounds like you should get a OEM Manual to untangle that contradiction.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 90HP Johnson overcharging?

The rectifier that you describe is unregulated. It should have a triangular base with a cylindrical body.

The unregulated rectifier will read high because it continues output to a fully charged battery. The service manual will instruct to not use sealed auto batteries, but to keep the voltage down you would have to either run some accessories or use a larger battery. Most larger dual purpose deep cycle marine batteries will easily regulate the small amperage coming from your motor.