Mercruiser 470 flooding while running

natron80

Recruit
I did a lot of searching, but I am still confused. Here's my problem.

I have a 1980 Crestliner with a Mercruiser 470 3.7 with a Rochester 2bbl carb. It starts and runs fine, but after running a while, it starts to sputter and wants to die. The ignition system seems to be fine. While running, if I look in the carb, I can see fuel dripping into the carb's barrels. I attached an image showing where the fuel drips from. I'm assuming the fuel should be vaporized when it comes from there, not dripping. It will keep dripping more and more until the engine chokes and dies. Obviosly the engine is flooding. I took the carb apart and it looks like the float and needle are in good shape. I'm at a loss, maybe too much fuel pressure? It has the factory cam driven mechanical pump. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Nate

Attachments

• carb.jpg
    carb.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 470 flooding while running

I took the carb apart

Ayuh,... It needs to be Rebuilt, or Replaced...

natron80

Recruit

Thanks for the help. Rebuild kit's on the way. I was thinking about bending the tab on the float just a little too, just to make sure it shuts off all the way. Any thoughts?

cr2k

Captain

Set the float level to specs. Take time do it right for best results.

ALSO...Check out which gasket is under the needle seat. There are 2 of them one is thick and the other is thin. Use the same one going back together.

Also, also...when replacing the accelerator pump use the old spring. The one that come in the new kits are softer and you will experience acceleration lag.

natron80

Recruit

Thanks a lot for the help. Re-built the carb, set the float to spec, and it runs great now. Let it run for 45 minutes, no flooding anymore. Thanks again!

Nate

SteveO77

Recruit

hello
i am swedish man who seem to have similar problem. and i have bouhgt a " needle " to the flot house, but i dont know how to set the float level correct?
i have mercruiser 470, and a rochester 2 bbl carb.
stefan