I hate foam!

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class
lol i got the port side of my deck ripped up finally. and got 90% of the port foam out.

I found that using a paint scraper and the claw part of a hammer works pretty well. the 2 port stringer were complete mush and half of them were all caved in. The only thing i found that i don't like is that the hull is VERY thin.seems like they used the foam more as structural support rather than floatation.when i stood on the stringers the hull started to flex so i assume that when i grind the stringers out i will have to be carefull not to stand on the hull.

Id like to strengthen it somehow but dont want to spend a ton on glass and resin.ill put a few pics up of the boat and the under deck before the foam was all ripped out.

Attachments

• IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2037.JPG
    IMG_2037.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 0

sschefer

Rear Admiral
Re: I hate foam!

Get yourself a 'Wonder Bar". Most hardware stores will know it by that name. Use it with a backer block and it'll pop that foam right out

5150abf

Vice Admiral

The foam haters club is very large.

I pulled mine out of an aluminum boat and ended up using a giant butcher knife, still wasn't much fun but got it done, I can stlil hear the SQUEEEEK.

J. Mark

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a floor scraper after getting the first chunk out (so you get a bit of a running start). Popped out football sized chunks with each push. All the big parts came out in under 45 minutes without much sweat. because of the handle length you have to start in the middle and work to one end and then reverse.

rngale

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the only easy way i have found to remove faom in a hurry is an open flame and stand back watch the boat burn then start over lol!

I have spent lots of time chippin foam out myself and understand your pain. I use alot of the same methods you have alredy used with the small wonder bars and chisels as well.

I am currently redoing a 78 century 4000 and they put a layer of csm over the foam so i have to grind the ccsm before i can start chipping it out, makes it twice as nasty.

Fingernip

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have been using a spade tip shovel along with a flat tip and some small pry bars. The wet stuff is actually more pleasent than the dry stuff. The dry foam seems to blow apart and float around more. The wet stuff is heavy and feels like apple but comes out in larger chunks and doesnt leave such a mess. I just hauled about 600lbs to the dump and have a bit left to go.

sprintst

Commander

I second the hate for the foam. I pulled 10- bags out of my boat hull.

It must be karma for all the bad ****e I've done through the years...

pwfish1

Seaman

my foam was soaked like a sponge. when i stuck anything into it the water splashed out likr sponge also.

the dry stuff i cut with sheetrock saw and came out in small chunks. all the wet stuff was chipped out with various tools, crow bar,chisels,pry bar. very tedious.

the wet must of weighed 400lbs if it was an oz. i could barely lift the trash can full of wet. must of dumped at least 10.

my home depot didn't have the blue foam. they said thats just a color backing. mine was silver sheet on top, 1 in or 2 in sheets 4 x 8. i put a small piece in bucket for 2 days and it never absorbed a drop of water.

12 bucks a sheet.

lakeorbay

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The thing I hate most about my foam is that it was in good shape when I took dug it all out. A very good install. Foam was in every crevice there was. I was thinking I'll never be able to re-do a job as good as this. But it had to come out. I have a sever leak and I'm going to Gluvit the boat so, out with it. As bad as my leak is, I was shocked how dry the foam was. Just the very bottom surface between the hull and foam was wet.

trief

Cadet
Re: I hate foam! more ideas and a questions.

Re: I hate foam! more ideas and a questions.

I had to remove all my foam also it was saturated with water. for teh real thick stuff I used a sawzall with a ling blade cuts like butter taking out chunks 8x that ever length at a time. What type of foam have you all been using to replace all that is removed??

lucid484

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im not going to replace my foam at all....going to add another layer or two of fiberglass to stiffen up the hull and gunwales.

HookMaster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Me Too!!

Attachments

• tn_DSCN0475.JPG
    tn_DSCN0475.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 0

Andy in NY

Commander

thankfully mine was in long sheets, not poured in. but there wasnt much... but it was still HEAVY!

fishseeker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I plan on putting sheet foam cut to fit when I get to that point. SNL works in a lumber yard and is going to bring home the broken sheets. Even has a place to store them until needed. Thinking a few goobers of CSM on the hull to hold them up so water can drain to the bilge.;)