Help..1985 Johnson 35hp starter bracket cracking

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1983 35hp ELCTS...my first starter bracket cracked where the starter bolts mount to it ..2 of them....well it cracked on the outside one a month ago....I replaced it with a new one...now I looked at it and it is cracked again on the opposite side starter bolt..the carb side...on the newer one

The starter engages ok....all the bracket bolts are tight to the engine...I rebuilt the starter cleaning the commutator and doing new brushes....no binding...spins freely...lightly lubed the bendix shaft...I followed the OMC book to the T...

So what would cause the bracket to break twice and in the same spot just opposite sides

Thanks

Al

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Help..1985 Johnson 35hp starter bracket cracking

So what would cause the bracket to break twice and in the same spot just opposite sides
Al

Sounds like the center mounting boss could be higher than the outside ones, and it's rocking and the outside mounting holes are getting overstressed. Or, when it was installed, the mounting bolts weren't tightened down evenly and one side was pulling up on the other,

When you get the new one, make sure it doesn't rock too much from side to side, and loosely put in all of the bolts and gradually tighten them down evenly, so one side is not stressed differently then the other.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

That starter is quite heavy, and hang's off to the side of the engine. A bent, out of balance prop will shake it off the engine. If you habe broken two bracket's, take a look at the prop.

Al-53

Chief Petty Officer

That starter is quite heavy, and hang's off to the side of the engine. A bent, out of balance prop will shake it off the engine. If you habe broken two bracket's, take a look at the prop.

The prop is new ...no dings or hits with it....the engine does not shake any...this is puzzling me...it cracks right where the starter studs screw into the bracket....I have to get another one but need to find whats doing it....

the bracket bolts are snugged by hand..then tightened in squence and not over tightened...there is no rocking in it...

the bracket has 2 mounting bolts (above and below the starter relay ) and a stud that the bracket slips into near the carb....that has a nylon insert lock nut to secure it to the stud...

Al