Bench test a starter solenoid??

hallibut

Cadet
Trying to diagnose an electrical problem. How do I test the starter solenoid and starter to take them out of the equation? Thanks

hallibut

Cadet
Re: Bench test a starter solenoid??

Hi there-
85 Tohatsu 70hp- Nothing happens when I turn the key except gauges do click on. Push in choke on key does not activate either. I do show power to the solenoid, but I am at a loss????? Thanks

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Jump across the solenoid on the engine. If the starter activates the problem is the solenoid. If the starter doesn't activate you have another problem.

hallibut

Cadet

Thanks for the reply-
OK I jumped the starter and it sparked for a second and now nothing. Help!@#@#!

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try removing both battery cables and clean connections to shiny metal, use some kind of grease on the clean metal then reconnect your cables. If your motor doesn't start you might have a dead battery.
Nick

hallibut

Cadet

Thanks for the reply-

These batteries are brand new and fully charged. I show 12.9 volts going into the solenoid????????Go figure??

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The connections at the solenoid and at the starter all need to good and clean also.

pvanv

Admiral

If the push-to-choke also does not activate, you may have another problem, possibly with the RC wiring. Verify power to the choke solenoid and the start solenoid.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure you have a working neutral safety switch in the throttle handle. There should be a brown wire going to the motor. Look at the motor and find that brown wire. There should be a quick disconnect. Disconnect that wire and try to start again. That will eliminate the neutral safety switch form the circut. If it starts its the switch. If not then you still have another issue. Does this help?

bustermin

Banned

if you jumped the starter and nothing happened and you do in fact have 12.9 volts, you have a bad starter, but it sounds like you have other issues not related to the starter, what is the voltage at the solenoid when you turn the key? does it drop or stay the same? did you check fuses/breakers? you could take out the starter and bench test it but just because it works on a bench doesnt mean it a good starter, it needs to be under a load.

hallibut

Cadet
Re: Bench test a starter solenoid??-Fixed!!!

Re: Bench test a starter solenoid??-Fixed!!!

Thanks for the responses! I replaced all my connectors at the battery and solenoid and that seemed to do the trick!!! Yeah!!