HELP! fuel pump relay keeps going bad

Wyomingman

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2002 4.3 MPI Mercruiser. I had a problem a few weeks ago and the fuel pump would not shut off. The only way to stop the buzzing noise was to disconnect the battery. It worked a few times after this and then the motor died after throttling up and I could not get it to restart, just sputter for a second then it would die. I replaced the fuel pump relay and that was the problem. I had the boat out twice since then and it ran great, but today again the same problem. Why does the fuel pump relay keep going bad??? I had to disconnect the battery again to get the fuel pump to stop even after I shut the motor off. HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: HELP! fuel pump relay keeps going bad

For starters I would look in the audlts only area at the top of this page and look up and down load your engine service manual, And find the altenator area and try to do their test. I believe your merc number is service manual #32, Make sure you read Don S topic on how to open the manuals they just don't open any more:(, BUY the way "DON S" if you see this post could you look at this service manual to see if it will open up I tryd it I got it open, But I could not open and read the pages, I am not 100% sure it is working right thank you:). To give you an idea of what I'm talking about here is a link that should open for you to look at, See setion 4 electrical system c charging and read the [NOTES] Now I,m not sure these specks will work for your engine this is just an idea only at this point:), Same with my idea of the alternator might be making the relays stick on. Have you checked and cleaned all the wires and ground cables on and around the engine side? Also keep in mind you just may have had bad luck and got a new bad relay.:eek: Well good luck with it sorry for the long post It's the best Idea I could come up with.Well to open this link you will need to paste it in your address bar on the home page of you internet and I believe it will open up:confused::eek:http://www-alt.mercurymarine.com/mnetdata/SERVICE/CRUISER/Servmanl/31/31cover.pdf

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Wman, head up to the adults only sticky and download manual 36. It has all the wiring diagrams Then go to page 3A-32. When the relay is stuck and the pump running, pull the relay out and see if you have power to either terminal 85 or 86 of the relay socket

boat tech, manual 32 is a dead link now, you can only open the cover and index.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

go to the main forum page and look for the first post in the section.