Got lower unit off and water pump changed!

dirtypete

Recruit
Hi all, I recently posted a plea for help and would like to thank ferrari175 & dade61782 for their replies. It took a lot of time and patience to get the lower unit off, but I finally got it. It took a combination of scraping out the corrosion with a bent straight pin and the heat from an acetylene torch and some quality penetrating oil to get the damn thing loose. The corrosion formed around the stud at the front end of the lower unit and it made it a real bear to get that lower unit off. I got the new impeller in and got it all back together and fired it up in the driveway with the hose attachment and everything seemed to work fine! This forum rocks and I'm glad that you are all here to help each other get through their projects. Thanks again.

Pete

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Got lower unit off and water pump changed!

You did'nt say here what engine you are dealing with. If you only changed the impellor, and you are force feeding it with a hose, check the cooling again at the dock before you go anywhere.

dirtypete

Recruit

R.Johnson, Its a 1986 20 hp (J20CRCDC). What would I be looking for in the water that would be different than the hose hook up? Thanks in advance for the info..

Pete

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

It should exspell water out the exhaust relief holes. Take the hood off, and see how hot it get's to the touch.

krogie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the motor should run at around 145 degrees. i had a 25 hp johnson that pumped great at hte house while tunning her up , but on the water i almost let it overheat b/c it did not pump water at idle. it would pump while moving and trolling.im glad a friend noticed this before i did any damage.

dirtypete

Recruit

Got it out on the water on Tues., had the day off and took my oldest son fishing. The motor ran great and pumped water like a champ. Thanks to R.Johnson and Krogie for their helpful tips. Had a great day fishing with my son and the boat is running better than ever. I gotta get back out there soon!