what a day.. 125 '84

bcsnare

Cadet
Blew the head gasket last time we were out. Picked up a new one and installed it yesterday.. Fired it up this morning and it sounded great. Had an initial slight tick that went away, i though it relubricated itself after a couple seconds with the muffs on.

took it out on lake st clair this afternoon...

fired up right away, smooth idle, seamless shift....i was feeling much better. idled out of harbor no problem, got on plane, went for about 3/4 mile and bam. i heard a knocking and by the time i looked at my buddy and shut her down the damage was done. sounded like something sheared off.

gasket did not fail, bottom spark plug tip was hammered down... Took the head back off and found a bunch of little cylinders "rollers" from a bearing. top of the piston is chewed up and there are two visible "rollers" embedded at the edge of the piston in contact with the cylinder. hard to tell with out tearing apart the extent of the cylinder damage. Cannot advance the pistons to look....

pistons are set in an unusual order, top and bottom (1+4) are fully out and matching depth and the middle two (2+3) are fully in and matching depth.

I know its bad. Any idea what i screwed up? is this a result of having water in the cylinder from when the head gasket failed.
You guys have been alot of help already so thank you.

bcsnare

Cadet
Re: what a day.. 125 '84

done some investigating...

roller cage bearing sheared off? water in the crank case caused the gas oil mix to not lube??

im about to tear it apart and see what happened for sure.

should i be prepared to replace the crank shaft, bearings, rod, piston...and possibly have that cylinder bored out???

is it worth doing this? or should look in to repowering?
thanks,
scott