Starter Problems.

cloonkeen

Cadet
Guys

I need you help here.

I have an older boat a 19 foot center console 1994 with a 2006 115 Merc 4 stroke with 20 hours.

Three weeks ago I started my boat. It ran idle for a while then it stalled. After that it wouldnt even turn over. Just a click.

The engine is still under warnatee so I brought it back to the dealer. They said the starter was dead so they replaced it.

Today I picked up the boat. Put it in the water. Started it and ran it out into the bay. It ran well. Brought it back to the dock and kept the engine running on idle for a while. Then it stalled . Tried to start it, only a click engine wouldnt turn over. This time I noticed smoke coming from the starter. The starter was so hot I could leave my hand on it. Very fustrated with it now.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

John

Karl_Childers

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starter Problems.

Sounds like the starter isn't disengaging. Take it back to the dealer and tell them suck at their job. Two starters don't just randomly self destruct, there is an underlying cause. Maybe a sticking solenoid, I don't know, but at any rate, make it the dealers problem.

Rob

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starter Problems.

Sounds like battery cable/connection problems to me, John. The first starter probably wasn't broke, either.

Disconnect those cables (both ends) and inspect them for weak spots. Then carefully clean and reconnect. The worst offender is usually where the battery ground cable bolts to the engine block.

Let us know what you find, and good luck. :)