lowspeed idle screw

DarrenK

Recruit
Hello experts
Not knowing much about outboards, i am having an issue with my old ski-twin. The other day, it was running rough and opened the top and saw that the low speed idle adjustment screw had vibrated right out!! We, tried putting it back and tightened the outer lock nut, but it seems that an inner aluminum sleeve that i think should be seated permanently also came along for the ride.

The picture below shows the motor and the offending screw. Do i need to buy a new sleeve and "press" it back in, or can these be glued/loctited back in?? OR am i totally screwed up and haven't a clue what's goin on!!?? (most probably the correct response).

Attachments

• low speed adjustment.jpg
    low speed adjustment.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: lowspeed idle screw

Hello experts
Not knowing much about outboards, i am having an issue with my old ski-twin. The other day, it was running rough and opened the top and saw that the low speed idle adjustment screw had vibrated right out!! We, tried putting it back and tightened the outer lock nut, but it seems that an inner aluminum sleeve that i think should be seated permanently also came along for the ride.

The picture below shows the motor and the offending screw. Do i need to buy a new sleeve and "press" it back in, or can these be glued/loctited back in?? OR am i totally screwed up and haven't a clue what's goin on!!?? (most probably the correct response).

Relax, not a big deal. You need to get a couple of new packing washers. You can see the remains of them on the needle between the threaded sleeve and packing nut. There should be two packings and a thin nylon washer. Assemble just like in your picture, except only thread the sleeve on a few turns. Then shove the whole assembly into the hole and snug down on the packing nut. Tighten it enough to cause some friction when you turn the needle. Then screw the needle all the way in till it lightly seats, then back it off 1-1/2 turns. Now tighten the packing nut some more till the needle is stiff to turn. Final readjustment is made on a boat in the lake. Simply adjust for best idle.

Oh, a little trick of the trade: Remove the knob and reinstall it upside down. Then you can rotate it all the way around. Put it back on right side up after final adjustment, pointing up.

DarrenK

Recruit
Re: lowspeed idle screw

Hi Admiral

thanks for the quick reply - i did see the remnants of the packing washers when the rod came out but didn't realize they played a role in seating the aluminum sleeve. thanks again for the timely advice!!!
cheers D