D Day

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Please take a moment today to remember and honor the sacrifices of so many boys on the beaches of Normandy 65 years ago.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: D Day

Yes. Without those sacrifices and their courage we would be living in a different (and not for the better) world. I had a few relatives there that did not make it back.

TilliamWe

Banned

I wish I had Saving Private Ryan. The opening sequences of that movie are so shocking, graffic, realistic, and powerful, that I can not imagine what those young men had to accomplish that day!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

:(D-Day is unlike any other day for a serviceman/woman. It was a day of maximum effort for people asked to perform a huge task.

While I feel sorrow for the fallen I feel pride to know the tradition still continues. People doing near impossible tasks and placing their lives on the line to protect others.

I thank everyone involved and remember the fallen. D Day was the single largest amphibious assault ever to take place.

Today was only the first day of that operation and it lasted until the end of June. Soldiers were still landing on those beaches for months following.

The terrific servicemen/woman we have today would not hesitate to duplicate that type of assault.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

God speed to all our brave soldiers...past, and present.

2zq6l2g.jpg

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I always take time to remember the troops on D-day. They were a different type of men real heros. Always support troops they don't choose the war they just fight and die for us

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Hanging on the wall of my home office, is a framed "Road To Victory" certificate that I gave to my dad for Christmas, several years before he died. I bought him a "brick" at the National D-Day Museum, in New Orleans and the certificate came with the brick.

My father was a 2nd Lt. in the 82nd Airborne and jumped with the Pathfinders, the night before the invasion. He had been on the planning staff for the invasion and was called upon to go in with those first paratroopers.

While I think all of the medals that he received (including a Purple Heart), meant alot to him, the one that he received at the 50th anniversary celebration in France, seemed to impact him the most. The reason why, is that it was given to him by the people that he and his fellow soldiers liberated.

Here's to "the greatest generation" and the veterans among them.

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yes, thank you to each soldier involved in the operation and each family that had someone there.

Personally I'd like to thank the families of those on this board who had relatives there that day. The bravery and sacrifice of your relatives is one of the greatest feats ever exibited in the history of mankind. If those relatives are still alive today, please take the time to sit down and talk with them, or call them, and tell them that a nobody young man & his family from Florida is deeply thankful for what they did.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My grandpa landed there the day after. That would be today I guess. He never told me about what he saw. Didn't talk about it at all. I just know he was in France for about a month and then he was shipped to Italy. Served the rest of the war there.

My sister and I gave him an appreciation certificate when were in grade school. He framed it and hung it on his bedroom wall. My dad has it now since grandpa passed away.

They truly are the greatest generation.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I had the same experience with my dad - he never talked about the war when we were kids and teenagers. The first time I ever heard him discuss it, was after he found out that I had been involved in an incident with some ordinance in the USCG. I guess it surprised him to find out that we dealt with such things and that fact, combined with his advancing years, put him in a mood to talk about it.

He also became more talkative after being interviewed by the WWII historian, Stephen Ambrose. In that case, he was old enough to know that he didn't have much time left, so I guess the need to chronicle the story of both his life and the war time efforts, over-rode the need to forget about a few things.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

this is one of those days that makes you both sad and proud to be an american.

so many heros who gave everything they had didnt come back and some heros that came back never really returned.

ive been watching our local pbs tv station for a special on d-day.....but havnet seen it on the guide yet......we watch it every year.

in my honest opinion anyone who has signed-up to defend our freedom and liberties are heros ......... no matter if they seen action or not, and the reason why i feel this way is because in this day and age who knows when/where the next war will be....... or even how bad it will be........... we are still in iraq.

godspeed to you all and may we never have to live through such atrocities again

Dock Rat

Cadet

I watched and shed many tears during the ceremony at Normandy. The one thing that truly sent cold chills and goose bumps on me was during the fly over when the one plane representing the fallen split off from the formation.

God Bless each and everyone of them as we may have not been able to enjoy the present as we have it.