OMC: correct position of boot?

glenfraser

Recruit
Hello i have replaced the stringers and now need to remount my engine but i can not figure out where the engine mount holes should be placed so that boot is in the right position. I understand theres supposed to be a jig however i cannot find one. If anyone has some ideas i would really love to hear them, thank you very much.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: OMC: correct position of boot?

Position is critical..what year and type of boat ? what size motor ? there are potentially thousands of answers to your question.....without knowing stats..no-one can answer your query...

glenfraser

Recruit

the boat is app 17 feet and is acal glass the eng is 140 horse gmc stern drive is omc ele shift

WizeOne

Commander

Tsk, tsk! You should have mapped it before you tore out the old stringer mounts. However, I do not think it is that super critical. In the case of my boat (with angled transom) the rear bead of the boot mount groove on the intermediate housing is almost flush with the backside surface of the transom.

This allows about a 5/8" gap between the top of the outdrive (in the full up position) and the rear surface of the transom.

I just hope that you installed the stringers at the correct (original) height?

F14CRAZY

Ensign

Position of the engine and intermediate unit is not super dooper critical but it should be pretty close. What boat/drive do you have? Maybe someone here can help you with the dimensions

WizeOne

Commander

... Maybe someone here can help you with the dimensions

I really think that it is dependant on the degree of slant of the transom. In other words, the more vertical the transom, the further forward you would mount the engine.

The only critical issue, as far as I am concerned, is that you do not have the motor/IH assy so far forward, with any transom angle, as to allow the outdrive to hit the transom when it is in the full up position.