electric trim

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class
on a recent trip out, i pulled up my outboard so i could beach. after about a half hour i noticed that the outboard kept going down again. im wondering if the trim motor? leaks? or frankly how my trim even works. does it require fluid? 96 glastron gs 160 115 evinrude.

thanks for any help.

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: electric trim

ther is fluid if its low then it would creep down

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The PTT system has many seals that can leak. First of all you need to fill and bleed the unit.

Tilt it all the way up, and lock it up. Remove the resevoir cap and fill to overflow with Dextron III ATF. Replace cap and unlock and cylce motor doen and up. Lock it up, wait 10 minutes fro air to bubble up and then repeat sequence. Within a couple of hours, all the air will be out and the fulid will be full. If is still leaks down, you have control valve or seal problems. Post these in the Johnnyrude forum.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

here is a picture of my setup, the only thing that looks like a resevoir is sideways, and if i open the lid fluid comes out. so i just screwed it back down. is there something im missing?

Attachments

• IMG00056.jpg
    IMG00056.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Ok, If the fluid is full and there is no air, and it leaks down, you need to replace some seals. There may be a complete rubber and seal kit for that motor. You may be able to look it up on the crowleymarine.com site.

xjcj3a

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i talked with a local shop, he said that it could be a proportioning valve? but when looking at the scematics off that site. i dont see what he means. thoughts?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

PTT Units need to have some sort of control valve which allows them to hold thrust against the power of the motor when trimmed or in reverse, but allows them to kickup if you hit something. That is likely the valve he spoke of. The proportioning valve could allow the motor to leak down, however it could also be any one of several seals as well. Seals are usually cheap, and I would start with them first.