Johnson 6 questions

djeady

Cadet
Have a Johnson 6 (70s vintage?) that's always been a good motor. Last fall I could only get it to run on one cylinder, so this spring I started doing some testing. Bottom plug was a nice tan color and top plug was wet, so figured it was probably electrical. One of the main coils has a burn mark on the bottom and when I swapped the coils, the problem moved with the coil so I'm guessing it is the coil.

-any second guesses?

-how do I determine the year of the motor - the only two numbers I can find are on the frost plug and on the flywheel - there must be a model no/serial no somewhere.

- how hard is it to find a new coil for one of these motors? Should I replace both at the same time?

Thanks for all help.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson 6 questions

Sounds like a coil /coil wire to me. Fortunatly they are cheap and the same coils were used over several modles over MANY years. Not sure how to determine your exact year without a serial # but a rough vintage guess and a picture of the coil should get you there.

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

No tag on the transom bracket on the tiller side?

djeady

Cadet

Thanks for the responses - put in two new coils and it's running nicely, though a bit weak on the top end - probably the high speed jet is a bit gummed up since it sat for a couple of years. We'll see if a good run with some fresh gas remedies that.

And no -no serial number on the transom bracket - I'm guessing it is early 70s.