Rot Question?

slapshot22

Cadet
Hello I am new to boating and looking at what will be my first boat. It is a 2000 bayliner capri 1800 with 90hp merc and 2004 sea rey trailer. Boat seems to be in very good shape but has a rotted ski locker cover. The rest of the floor seems solid and im having an experienced freind test drive it tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone knows of problems with this year/model and if its normal for only the ski locker door to rot? should I be worried about more? Seller is asking $6500 and has already ordered the new ski locker door. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Rot Question?

That price seems high for a 9 year old underpowered Bayliner....

It is certainly possible for just the ski locker door to rot especially if it had a little bit of cup to it. You will certainly want to very carefully check over the rest of the deck and transom.

Nico2112

Petty Officer 1st Class

It also depends on how the boat has been stored these past years.
If it has been kept under a roof or in a garage, chances for deck rot are less.
If kept outdoors under a tarp or cover, may diminish to somepoint any deck damage.

Anyway, the way a boat has been maintained and kept tells a lot about how much it's worth.

Have it inspected before making a decision on buying it.

Cheers!

slapshot22

Cadet

Ok thank you both for the reply. It has been garage stored for winter and docked during boating season. I guess ill just hope my friend takes a careful look and gives me a good opinion.
Thanks