1998 90hp 3 cyl Mariner blowing blue smoke and dumping fuel in water after shuting of

JoeMac

Recruit
Non-mechanically inclined person here with a Mariner motor that runs fine at first start-up of the day. Then on the next start, and every start after that the motor is hard to start, runs poorly, idle's rough and is shutting off at slow idle. Then you can smell and see gas coming out of motor somewhere, as there is large amout of it on the top of water around the back of boat. On next start you get large amout of blue smoke.

I've read some post's here about the older Mariner motor's having issues with a defective valve somewhere that is suppose to bled off when you shut off the motor. I guess the pressure that is developed to make the fuel/oil system work is not bled off due to this defective valve and that causes oil and gas to flood the engine and makes it run like the choke is on.

The reason I think this is my problem is when I start the engine for ist time of the day, it runs like a champ, 5,000 rpm's, gets right up to plane...etc. Then on shutting down, the gas spews out and it's a rough engine the rest of day. Next day 1st start it's back to running fine. Then cycles poorly again.

So I think this defective valve is my problem. My question is does anyone know what the name of the defective valve is. Can a layman like me fix it, or does it need to go into Mercery\Mariner motor repair guy? Thanks for any advice offered.

JoeMac

Recruit
Re: 1998 90hp 3 cyl Mariner blowing blue smoke and dumping fuel in water after shutin

After surfing all day I think I have found the part. A fuel pump check valve kit. Anyone replaced their rubber check valve for a plastic one?