MerControl nightmare

Cpt.Justice

Cadet
I have a 15' fiberglass runabout with a 1964 Merc 50hp. It has the MerControl control box with the large lever on the left and the black warm up lever on the right with an electronic choke button. Anyway, I have tried adjusting the cables like crazy and can't get it to work properly. It will shift into F-N-R nicely but when it's in forward and I push it to give it throttle it doesn't start accelerating until it is almost all the way forward and today I noticed that when it did start accelerating, the black warm up lever had lifted up. Is that normal?

Is it possible the cables are shot or the wrong cables? Does it sound like the control itself is shot? Is there a sure fire way of knowing if either the cables or the controls are shot?

If the control itself is toast, I hesitate to buy the same control, used on ebay for $100+ and get the old "well, it worked when I took it off the boat" excuse. Can you get aftermarket controls to replace this syle control and with no monkey work to get it working? I'm looking for install, adjust and go.

Sorry, I know I'm asking a lot of questions but I'm really at a loss here. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: MerControl nightmare

Brian, I do not know if it is fixable, or even what the problem is. I have MerControl from '77 and I never had a bit of trouble with it. You can easily find aftermarket controls to replace it. I would think most used MerControls would work as well. Both may cause you to have to do some wiring to adapt them.

Cpt.Justice

Cadet

Thanks Chris1956.

I do have some other clues as to what might be wrong with it. I found out today that the throttle cable is in fact frozen do to rust and will no move. I am going to order a new set of cables today.

But my next question is this, should the shifter be able to move freely when that cable is frozen? It just seems to me that it shouldn't be able to travel any further than the cable will allow.

Please, any help is appreciated.

Brain

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might be worth to take the controls apart.Its pretty easy.Make sure the cams are not broken and such,and grease everything back up.

Come to think of it you will have to anyways if you replace your cables.;)

Aqualift

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a Mercontrol from 1965. I also, have to push the lever all the way forward and slightly down for full throttle. It's typical for this to occur with these older controls. As far as the black warmup lever moving, regreasing the inner workings could possibly help. But there is an indented hole on the lever that is supposed to hold it in the down position. The springloaded pin and the indent itself will wear down allowing the lever to move.

Cpt.Justice

Cadet

Thanks to everyone for all the info.

I picked up some new cables today. I will let you all know what happens after I replace them

Thanks again,
Brian

turbodude51

Cadet

I have similar problem on a 15 foot inflatable with a Mercury 500 50HP. However my cables are two long and coiled up. Can excess cable prevent throttle from opening all the way?
Thanks, Rick

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class

The coils can cause it to bind.I don't think it matters how long or short the cables are its still going to move the shift/throttle arm....if it doesn't bind.

turbodude51

Cadet

I took control apart, and I am going to try shorter cables, it just seems throttle will not move far enough with remote, but you can open rest of the way by way by hand, shift works perfect. I adjusted many times with no results. Remote was perfect inside.
Thansk for replay, Rick

Cpt.Justice

Cadet

Hey Turbodude51, In another thread I read that the length doesn't really matter as long as they are not bent or kinked.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

i also have a 15' runabout. with a mercontrol.
my calbes are fairly long.

this is a long shot, but could something be wrong with the idle stop screw? if the warm up lever is moving with the throttle?

is your only problem the warm up lever coming up?

Cpt.Justice

Cadet

rtpassini, I suppose thats another area to check.

The other problem im having with it is, keep in mind it shifts perfectly, it doesn't start to accelerate until I push the lever way far forward. Once it starts to accelerate, it will then start raising the warm up lever.

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class

it doesn't start to accelerate until I push the lever way far forward.

Mine does that to...Pretty normal from I read on two forums.What matters is if your getting full throttle on the engine side.As for the cold idle lever you might just need to lube up the cams inside the control box.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

when i spin the prop (engine off) and test out the spot where the gear actually cathes, its pretty far forward.

but then again, dont take my word for it. mine doesnt want to go in gear when running. lol

Cpt.Justice

Cadet

Cell, thats just it, I don't think im getting full throttle at all. I'm pretty sure im only getting about half.

Cpt.Justice

Cadet

does anyone know if parts are available for the Mercontrol? If so, where can you get them?

Cpt.Justice

Cadet

Ya know, I never thought to check the carbs....thanks for that info! I'm going to do that tomorrow.

Also, I was just looking around for some controls, I found a really nice, old, inexpensive single lever mercontrol unit. I shouldn't have any problems if I put this one in instead, would I? I understand I will be losing the warm up lever but I never have to use that anyway. As for the elec. choke button, couldn't I just mount that in the dash, along with ignition switch?

Cpt.Justice

Cadet

Also thanks for the links! The wiring diagram in that one thread is AWESOME and im gonna hold on to that for sure.

Thanks again for all your help!