Live well pump problem

gilligan60

Cadet
When I turn my live well switch on, it fills the livewell just fine and aerates it every 5 minutes or so. But after a while, the pump starts squealing, so I end up turning it off. I then manually turn it on and off, and it sometimes squeals, and sometimes it doesn't. What could be the problem? Is the pump shot? Is there any maintenance that you do on those things? Thanks much!

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Live well pump problem

sounds like its on its last legs,when they get old the shaft starts to warp..causing squealing, nothing for it..replacement time. although there is a replacement pump that you can change out the motor only. there cheap on e-bay..

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

what he said, bearings are shot, replacement time.

gilligan60

Cadet

Thanks much! I'm going to take a look at it today and see if I can handle switching it out. I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy around. Is that a tough job?

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Couldn't be more simple. On some motors the pump cartridge is replaceable look for tabs to squeeze turn counter clockwise pull out. If its a older pump just replace the whole thing. Is it a remote mount thru hull mount or is it in the live well? If its a thru hull be sure to clean surface and apply marine silicon at time of new pump installation. Post back with what type of mount the pump is?