lasqueti Island Deisel spill

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Took a trip over to Lasqueti Island and anchored in Deep bay on Jedediah Island marine park.
Went for a hike and came across the feral sheep that were left behind and live wild.
Its a beautiful place, as I approached the bay I notice the smell, it was diesel fuel.
When I got back to the boat that ugly smell was everywhere and my plans to swim were cancelled, it was very hot 32c .
Later on I overheard someone say " I noticed the fuel filter was pouring fuel into the bilge hope its no big deal"
You could see the oil slick throughout the whole cove, and it was still there in the morning.
I left for cleaner water first thing in the morning.
Image101.jpg

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral
Re: lasqueti Island Deisel spill

Yup, definately a bummer.

The good news is that diesel will evaporate pretty quickly and won't sink to the bottom like crude does. I guess you would have some fouling of birds, etc., but it might be minimal.

erikgreen

Captain

Wow.... do that on lake superior and you'll be met at the dock by at least two DNR, local police, and a tow truck for your boat.

I'm a boater through and through, but I really do not like the fact that we have to fuel boats with hydrocarbons that can spill like this. I suppose I should get myself a sailboat....

Erik

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

jay_merrill
The good news is that diesel will evaporate pretty quickly and won't sink to the bottom like crude does.

That's good to know.

I'm a boater through and through, but I really do not like the fact that we have to fuel boats with hydrocarbons that can spill like this. I suppose I should get myself a sailboat....

Eric, I think it was a sailboat that had the spill.