carb loading up at idle 5.7 liter mercruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

kynailbender

Recruit
My fuel pump was replaced after winter layup because last fall after we determined the old pump was leaking enough to leave fumes in the engine compartment. After replacing the fuel pump the carb started to load up and after a few minutes flood out the engine. At this point everyone is convinced the carb needs to be rebuilt since it is a 1992 boat even though there has never been and issue running before. Now after 2 rebuilt carbs and one new carb we are at the same point. We are at a loss for an explaination. Is it possible for the manual fuel pump to force too much fuel in the bowls? Help!!!!

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: carb loading up at idle 5.7 liter mercruiser

Whats your fuel pressure?

kynailbender

Recruit

Not sure but the guys that rebuilt the carb twice said it was within the expected range of 3-5 lbs, inches, however it's measured. There is fuel pooring into the carb even after you shut the engine down. The only thing new from when the boat ran great is a new fuel pump, and now new carb. It stands to reason that the pump is the problem, but that really seems to make no sense with too much fuel.

pef

Recruit

I have a 1990 Mercruiser 305, 5.0 LX Sea Ray with the same problem. The carb. was factory rebuilt. I Can hear something running even with the key off and the battery selector switch turned off. Would appreciate any advice on this.
Thanks,
PEF

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats pef.
Best to start a new thread with your question, not just tack on to the end of someone elses old post and expect people to see your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.