Draining oil

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
I am having the worst time trying to drain oil out of boat i have ever had..Taking it out thourgh the dipstick..No vacum leaks..Good quality pump..varying the depth of the hose and at best i can only get about a quart a hour.....im 3quarts down.

Using syntheic oil..is that the cause...15-50

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Draining oil

Most here run the engine, and warm the oil, before using the dipstick method.

Warm oil flows a whole lot easier...than cold!

P.S. The experts also claim that by running the engine first, your oil will pick up more of the contaminants and hold them in suspension...and you will remove these when you extract the old oil. In cold oil, these contaminants will settle to the bottom of the pan, and become part of the new oil change....

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Agreed ran it up to 170 degree's sorry i left that out...It is as if there's no oil in the pan or a vacum bubble of some sort forms around the pipe..:confused:

Lot of people find the old double garbage bag under the drain hole trick to be the the way to go versus the dip stick pump method.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

i would remove the plug, drain it into the bilge and out the back and then put in a drain hose kit so you don't have to use the dipstick type pump again. Those skinny hoses are a pin.