What a tow..

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I go with my cousin to pick up a small 12ft boat he bought. No trailer. But it's ok, we got an old one from his brother.

We get the boat and he helps us lift it and put it on the trailer. But it's at an angle. We figure it will be fine.. Strap it down and go.. About a block down the road I hear the zipping type sound and see a smoke trail. Pull to the side of the road.

The trailer is leaning and the tire is rubbing on the fender.. Our best efforts to block it up and strap it failed. So only option is to remove everything from the boat, tip it sideways, put it in the box of the truck and strap it down. and throw everything else back in the truck.

Now down the highway. Doing about 50 mph, I keep looking in the mirror and think I see smoke, but not sure. Next thing I knew the pickup truck behind me must have knew it before I did. He's been behind me since we turned on the highway but is keeping about a 500 foot distance. I see him switch lanes and kinda over to the rumble strip. This is when I knew something wasn't right. About 2 seconds later a loud bang, 1/2 the axle and the wheel go tumbling down the highway..

I run back to get the wheel and axle off the highway. Call is brother and luckily we weren't too far from his work. We had to drag the trailer about 1/2 mile to his work and left it here....

Crazy huh?
I'm glad the wheel and axle didn't hit anyone.

clarkbre

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What a tow..

Crazy huh?
I'm glad the wheel and axle didn't hit anyone.

Crazy or stupid?...Take your pick. A quick walk around the trailer should have shown some signs of wear or ****-poor shape. It amazs me what some people consider worthy of the road.

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, that whole disaster could have been averted, it seems to me, by a good inspection of the trailer before towing it.

newguy138

Cadet

Already seen 2 trailers on the side of the highway this season missing a wheel ((( Kindof sad considering it takes 10 minutes to check your bearings and only a few hours to repack them / replace them. For future reference I found a good video on how to repack bearings here.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, Lesson learned for me.. Will be sure to check my boat trailer.

The bearings didn't let go.. It was the axle midway trough the trailer. that snapped in half.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Good thing nobody got hurt or killed when the axle went flying down the road.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good thing nobody got hurt or killed when the axle went flying down the road.

Right.. Like stated before.. Lesson learned on this one.. I guess sometimes you take it for granted, and trust the words of others.

escapade

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats crazy, but at least no one was hurt, I've seen some trailers that have tabs that lock the axle into the housing (the same as on some 1/4 mile cars)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Trailer maintenance is just as important as maintaining your tow vehicle or boat