Type of grease to use for boat trailer ?

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good day,

For years have been using this Blue grease in trailer hubs which is so called water resistant and there was never any grease leaking from wheels.

Since I installed Bearing buddies some extra grease comes out them (buddies) in thick liquified form and eventualy drips on garage floor.

Could I be using the wrong grease ? I thought grease always stayed very thick !!

Thank you.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Type of grease to use for boat trailer ?

Grease is nothing more than oil with a thickener in it. At "working" temp it reverts back to a heavy oil to lubricate the bearings.

The important thing is to match the oil's drop point to your bearing temperatures. Too high a drop temp and the grease stays solid at operating temps and the bearings are starved for lubrication. Too low of a drop point and the grease liquidifies too early and with too low of a viscosity to cool the bearings efficiently.

What is the drop temp of the oil that you are using? Sounds like you over heated the grease and it ?separated? on you

There is also a big difference between water proof and water resistant.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I never had grease dripping from wheels before installing the bearing buddies ... it would seem they might have been overfilled but after wiping the excess grease and a few rides to the boat ramp there are no more grease spots on garage floor.

As for type of grease ... hard to tell since it's in a grease gun at this time. I think it was labelled as all purpose Marine Water resistant grease ...

Tx

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most any marine grease will work for bearings. When in doubt make sure the tube says marine bearings grease, walmart sells the stuff i use. Bearing buddys are easy to over fill and they have an over fill hole, so when the grease goes to "liquid form" it will leak all over the place. Just keep the hubs full, check hub temps and check bearings and seals annually. Usually u have a problem when the grease go liquid when your not using it

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I believe most any marine wheel bearing grease is fine but if you change brands you should remove all the old grease and fill with the new type.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The exception to the "any old grease" is if you have disk brakes. There are very few "marine" greases that have a drop point high enough to be used with disc brakes.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I use starbrite marine trailer wheel bearing grease.