I got a new fish finder Yay! and now i have a proble :(

dodgefate

Cadet
I just purchased a new Humminbird PiranhaMAX 180
and put it on the boat. When I get up on Plane it shoots a rooster tail as high as the out board. I placed it 15 inches from the motor and when the boat is going slow it pickes up ghost fishies. When the motor is off it works normal. Also when going at full speed it reads fine but does not seem to find any fish..... I installed it exactly the way it said in the little book that cme with it but now I have a huge rooster tail and no fishies at full speed and fishies that are not there at low speed....... Any help would be greatly appriciated

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: I got a new fish finder Yay! and now i have a proble :(

Can't help with the rooster tail but that issue seems to be rather common with Humminbird transducers. As for fish/no fish, I think you need to play with the sensitivity. Half the stuff you see on a locator is not fish.

gss036

Commander
Re: I got a new fish finder Yay! and now i have a proble :(

Very common problem, they do have an insert plug that helps but I found that silicone caulking works the best to fill the hole between the transom and the bracket. Anytime you have some thing in the water, there is going to be a little spray. As far as reading, I don't think you will find one that will read fish in the water at high speeds. They are designed for slow speed fishing, yes they will read the bottom. It all depend on how deep the water is that you are running in.