Stiff Steering

91lund87

Recruit
I have a 1987 Johnson 25 hp outboard motor and the steering takes all of my strength to turn. It is really annoying. There must be a way to adjust this? can somebody please help me with this.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Stiff Steering

I have Teleflex steering on my small 16' pontoon boat and it has been hard for years and then this year it broke and I had to replace the cable and now it's easier. So it might be your cable getting old.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

lube it up check connections,loosen and see what turns and doesnt.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If we are to help at all, we need to know whether you have tiller or remote steering.

First issue is the friction adjustment you asked about. Hunker down and peer just over the top of the transom, between the clamp brackets. See that screw? That is the friction adjustment.

But if it is as tight as you say, the adjustment won't help.

If remote, disconnect the drag link from the motor and see if the steering wheel turns hard with the motor disconnected that way. If it does, the cable is probably tight where it goes through the tilt tube and must be addressed NOW before it gets to where you can't do anything with it. That means take the cable out of the tilt tube and clean the rust and crud out of the tube and re-lube. This is a normal preventative maintenance item.

However, tiller or remote, if it is tight without any remote steering connected, it is the pivot shaft and swivel bracket/liner. Has it been used in salt water? That will corrode the assembly to the point that it is impossible to move. It is way too late to expect to be able to lubricate it. There is only one cure: Take it apart and dig the corrosion out. It isn't complicated, but it does involve hard work.

Tell us what we are working on and we can give further instructions.