pulling with a 2x4 Dodge Dakota?

silrleveret

Recruit
I am thinking about buying a 18' '91 Ranger 361V bass boat with 150 Johnson. I think the weight is about 3000 lbs. I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota regular cab 4x2 with a 5.3 liter V8. Will the truck tow the boat and/or pull it out on concrete ramps? Also, should I put all-terrain tires on the rear? It has street tires now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: pulling with a 2x4 Dodge Dakota?

Your truck has a 5.2 (318) or a 5.9 (360) not a 5.3 ;)

Your truck will tow this boat just fine. I would consider a class III hitch if you dont already have one.

No fancy tires needed. Just find you a quality set of light truck tires. I am fond of Michelin LTX. I get about 80K miles a set on my silverado and am about to replace my 3rd set of them! No defects, great ride, great everything.

silrleveret

Recruit

You're right. It's a 5.2. Don't know what I was thinking. Thanks for your help!

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Your truck will do just fine. I have a 4.7L V8 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab and pull a boat of similar weight with no problems. A couple pointers though:

Make sure you have the appropriate hitch installed

Take it slow pulling out of the ramps with the boat on the trailer. Downshift to 1st or 2nd gear so you don't lose traction. (I do have A/T tires and 4x4 on my truck but i don't think you have to have either to pull the boat)

Always turn your Overdrive OFF if you have an automatic transmission.

Good luck!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If traction does pose and issue, you can visit your local salvage yards for a limited slip or locking differential, or have one added to your truck.

willieboy

Seaman

Dad has the next size up boat (20' with a 200 hp Johnson). I used to tow it just fine with my 3.9L '97 Dakota CC (same truck, year earlier). I had no problems towing that boat or pulling it out at the ramp. Just an FYI, AT tires will make a difference at the ramp, but they are certainly not necessary. I have them on my current truck and love them.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am thinking about buying a 18' '91 Ranger 361V bass boat with 150 Johnson. I think the weight is about 3000 lbs. I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota regular cab 4x2 with a 5.3 liter V8. Will the truck tow the boat and/or pull it out on concrete ramps? Also, should I put all-terrain tires on the rear? It has street tires now. Any help is greatly appreciated.
If your Dak doesn't have a tranny cooler, get one. I had a '98 Dakota, v-6 & I used to tow my 19ftr. with it. It performed fairly well, but I didn't push it too hard. The late 90's Dakotas have known transmission problems when the mileage gets high. Mine blew & cost me $1200. for a rebuild. After that I sold it & bought a Tundra. Once again, a tranny cooler is a must have. I would also change the tranny fluid & filter, & use nothing but ATF+4.

j_martin

Admiral

I think you're at least 1000 lbs high on your weight estimate.

A Dakota will have no trouble with it with a class 2 hitch. (Your normal 2" receiver hitch) If you plan to tow in traffic, or in hilly conditions, it might be worth while to put brakes on the trailer if it doesn't have it. The Dakota is a little light to safely brake severely pulling a ton.

Dakota 2x4 will have no problem on a concrete ramp, or a decent dirt ramp. I use a Dakota 4X4 because some of the landings I use are basically swamp launches. One trick that helps with a drive on trailer is you can use the boat motor to give the tow vehicle a nudge when pulling out.

I pull an 18' tracker with a 150 on it with a Dakota, a Dodge conversion van, or for local in a pinch a Caravan.

hope it helps
John