1998 90HP V4 starts will not stay running.

A Potts

Cadet
I have a 1998 Johnson 90HP V4, never been in the shop, only work has been new plugs. It starts easy but it will not stay running unless you hold the choke in. I have rebuilt the fuel pump, been through both carbs and found no problems. added fresh fuel but had no change in performance. :confused:
Any help would be appreciated.

A Potts

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1998 90HP V4 starts will not stay running.

How well did you clean the carbs? Did you install new rebuild kits in each one and comletely take them apart, even the low and high speed jets and clean those out with some wire? It's not getting fuel for some reason, my guess would be some sort of restriction in the low speed jet.
Did you set the idle screws properly? Start 1.5 turns out and slowly adjust out in small increments? I have a '93 60hp and it's carbs ended up being 2.25 turns out.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Rebuild the carbs

A Potts

Cadet

Thanks for the tip, I'll recheck the jets, I may have missed something. I did not touch the idle adjustments, but I will check them also.

A. Potts

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the tip, I'll recheck the jets, I may have missed something. I did not touch the idle adjustments, but I will check them also.

A. Potts

Cleanliness is vital with the carb's. You may have something in there that you missed. We have all done it at sometime.