Why is my 1988 Seaswirl tippy?

tunabomber

Recruit
I have a 1988 Seaswirl 21' Sable Cuddy. It has the 5.0 L OMC Cobra in it. I can only get 3150 rpms out of it, but also when it is up on step, it is very sensitive to movement in the boat. When someone walks from one side to the other, it feels like it is going to roll over. It also leans really bad up on step when I am in the boat by myself. Anyone else have these problems?

MikDee

Banned
Re: Why is my 1988 Seaswirl tippy?

Welcome to iboats! ;) Hull pictures would help!

trobinson017

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Why is my 1988 Seaswirl tippy?

Not sure what kind of hull your boat has but my '99 Striper CC has what I call a hybrid hull. It starts as a deep-V at the bow that flattens out right about where the CC is. Just about where the front seat of the CC is the bow creates two "tunnels", port and starboard, so that when the boat is on plane water is jetted thru those tunnels. My guess is that this improves performance since all 8 ft. of beam is not touching the water. It, in effect, reduces the footprint of the hull on the water. The downside is it causes the boat to be tippy like yours. A simple 10lb difference between passengers on one side from those on the other will cause the boat to lean to the heavier side. Very annoying but the boat still tracks fine.

This hull design also makes the boat "slap" down after crossing another boat's wake if that wake is more than, say, 1.5 ft. high. It's like the bow is too light and the V is not complete to split the water. So it comes down like a flat plank, smacking the water hard. Very, very uncomfortable for passengers sitting on the front CC seat. I'm considering putting in one of those water filled "couches" that wakeboats use to weigh the bow down to create a better wake for boarding.