Hard to turn over Merc..Now what

Thanks to the help from Chris1956. You were right I don't have an '82 motor.

My last post wasn't concise so here is the deal.

I have a 1977 Thunderbolt 850 (85 hp) that is still hard to turn over. I have replaced the starter and the battery and put WD-40 through the plug-holes and it turns over fine with the plugs removed. I bought it with electrical problems so it hasn't run while I have owned it.

In neutral it sounds like rubber bands binding up a little in the mid to lower unit portion of the motor. But it is neutral (prop is not spinning).

Does anyone know what to make of this? The reasons for a hard to turn over motor...that turns over fine with the plugs out?

Thanks in advance.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: Hard to turn over Merc..Now what

Squeeky rubber noise is from the dry impeller turning .

Drop the lower unit then try turning the engine again, you could add a garden hose to the water tube from the lower and start the motor.

Mainly, just see if the binding or stiffness is in the motor or the lower.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Take the battery cables off, both ends. Carefully clean the terminals and the point of connection.

Let us know what you find.

James R

Commander

JB is correct. Dirty connections, bad battery or a bad solenoid, are preventing sufficient current from reaching the starter motor.

JB and JamesR...

YOU WERE RIGHT! THANK YOU!

Charlie...I led you with than one I think so your good record is intact.

The culprit: Cheap jumper cables. I was jumping from a new battery to the lugs on the starter. The jumper cables were a cheap piece of sh!t, apparently. Cost me a lot of money and a fair amount of grief. I would have been hating life to have torn into this thing further. Your experience is much appreciated. I owe you guys big time. THANKS!