how to change oil on 120 mercruiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggles

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Do I have to by a kit to suck the oil out of the dipstick or is there another way? I read somewhere that if I can get to the drain plug there is a tube attached to it and I can drain it out that way?

Thanks

Ryan

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: how to change oil on 120 mercruiser

The 120 are all too old to have the newer tube on the drain plug. You need a pump to suck the oil out of the pan through the dipstick tube. Depending on the year of your 120 there could be a couple different ways of doing the job.

ziggy

Admiral

i use one of these... http://www.iboats.com/Moeller_Fluid...8098484--**********.252024645--view_id.341308 works very well albeit a little slow sucking it out, specially if the oil is cool. warm up the engine and it works very well. cold and it wont suck it up, too thick i guess. it comes with some tubes that'll fit down you dip stick tube. it's worked very well for my L6. nice and easy to dispose of the oil too at the local recycler. i hardly even touch oil when i when i use this devise. short of the doing the filter of course...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Northertool sells one for $40, takes twice as many pumps, but it is half the cost.

Once you change the oil through the dipstick, you'll never want to remove another drain plug again.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Use a double or tripled up garbage bag and drain it out the plug and into the bag.

I drain mine right into the bilge and let it leak out the transom plug into a drain pan and then wipe the bilge out with a handful of shop rags.
I have a 32 year old beater. :cool:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I`m sure they firured it already, DO NOT DREDGE UP old posts, start your own

Status
Not open for further replies.