Transporting an outboard to the lake

Hogie22

Cadet
I'm taking my first outboard with me to put on the boat at the resort.

The question is: what is the best way to transport the outboard in the back of the truck with my other stuff?
I know sometimes if I pick it up wrong and tilt it a certain way gas drips out of the carb, filter, fuel lines.

It is a 7 hour drive and I'd like to there without having my life jackets and other stuff smell like gas.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transporting an outboard to the lake

Is it a 4stroke? If so you want to be careful how you lay it down as oil will leak out and cause big problems to the motor. Other than that just wrap it in a towel and lay it in there. Unless you want to build some kind of stand to stand the motor up on.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

4S or 2S, it makes a difference. Run it out of gas or drain the carb to eliminate the fuel leaking out, then with a 2S you can stick it in any way it will fit, its nice to put it on some kind of a pad though, keeps it looking good much longer. With a 4S the manual will tell you which side to lay it down on, do it the other way and oil may leak into parts of the motor where its not supposed to be, or into the bed of the truck.

Hogie22

Cadet

Yes, it is a 2 stroke. The last time I ran it I unplugged the fuel line until it died. So I should ready to go, right?
I have a moving blanket I was going to wrap around it.

mmccoy555

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That'll work.

eipeldau

Seaman Apprentice

Your owner's manual probably warns you not to lay it on the shift lever side of the OB. That could probably damage the lever.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

1. don't lay it on the shift lever side.
2. Don't lay it on the back (plugs down) or you will foul the cylinders and, after a length of time, lock up the motor--not 7 hours but never store one that way. There's a motor for sale in our local CL laynig that way and if it's not ruined, it's certainly bad marketing.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Clamp a board into the transom clamp, secure it in the bed with straps/bungees, with padding if you have some. Just keep it tied down.