new guy with dumb question

nobloboats

Recruit
I have an 86 searay omc 5.7l when started first time this season would idle (rough) and stall when accelled. repl plugs,cap,points. ran same,heres where the dumb comes in.

unplugged micro switches at throttle that wiring runs to cid module on engine. now it runs fine, what are these switches, the cid module and what is causing them to make the eng not run?????

thanks for your help, I work on autos and grew up on the water, but its been a while since I've worked on a boat engine.....

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral
Re: new guy with dumb question

Welcome to Iboats,

Those are shift interupt switches that cause the engine to stumble just for a second when shifting out of gear.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Those switches shut half your cylinders down for a split second when shifting in/out of gear. If they're engaged all the time, or when they're not supposed to be, the engine will run rough.

Your shift cables need adjustment, and your lower transom cable may need replacing. Adjust them by the manual, not by what you think will work.

nobloboats

Recruit

Thanks Gary for the quick response.....

I'm in nc also, glad to have help close to home.....

what would cause them to make the engine not run, do they need to be repl and how can I test to see which one is the problem????

would it hurt to leave them disconnected????

thanks in advance for the great help......

dennis

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If you leave them disconnected the boat will be near impossible to get out of gear.
It sounds like one of them has failed and is staying pushed in all the time.
I had an extra set of new ones i gave to the guy that bought my old boat...I should have saved them.

Not sure where the best place to find replacements is..
Maybe some of the other guys will chime in.

The lower shift cable adjustment or replacement may help but not if the switch itself is bad.

nobloboats

Recruit

thanks again Gary....

where can I get the info to test the switches and/or adj the shift cable????

also how can I tell if the shift cable is bad?????

Thanks for all your help.....