marine rustoleum

thomas 21

Cadet
I would like to know if i have to buy special marine rustoleum or if i can buy regular rustoleum and if there is ahugh difference in cost.I have my boat sanded and am ready to procede with painting and need to know.

thomas 21

Cadet
Re: marine rustoleum

:eek:
I would like to know if i have to buy special marine rustoleum or if i can buy regular rustoleum and if there is ahugh difference in cost.I have my boat sanded and am ready to procede with painting and need to know.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I have no idea, never used either one, but someone should be along pretty quickly that knows.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

depends on what boat. if a $200 aluminum hull fishing boat, i would use regular. if a higher price ski boat you want to look good longer, the marine.

i have only used regular so far.

67sportcrafttrailer001.jpg

gheenoefinished001-1.jpg

MVC-074S.jpg

962e81eb.jpg

all have held up well, and easy to touch when needed.

jcsercsa

Captain

I used the marine 15 bucks a quart turned out great , just rolled it !!! John

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

I bought both and played with them a bit (in gloss black). The marine topcoat version had better gloss and was on par with interlux bright sides in the same color (in terms of gloss). I think that after a month both the rustoleums were at least as hard as the brightsides. Both are alkyd resin based chemistry as are interlux brightsides and bilgekote.

Moody Blue

Captain

Keep hearing about the marine Rustoluem. Where do you buy it? Looked everywhere with no luck.

jcsercsa

Captain

I got mine at Gilroys , true value . john

Ps had to speical order it

halas

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rustoleum should have their own store but the don't. It is hard to find out about their products, looking at their website.
Good product , horrible marketing .

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

Lowes hardware carrys it in main / standard colors here.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Dude, up date your profile & you will never have to answer that question again.

Thank you :D yep go to the user CP up in the left corner of the screen click on it then click on edit profile in the new screen and add your location it will show up in the right corner of all your posts :D.

Rick

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I can't say for sure that the marine rustoleum is any better than regular. For all I know its just a differant label. I just paid about $13 at Menards for a quart of marine rustoleum. The regular is what...$9 ? Regardless of whether the boat is worth $200 or $2000, your painstaking efforts in painting and prepping is worth the extra few bucks, if only for the piece of mind knowing that you used the right product.

jmcaswell

Recruit

I am using the Rusto Marine Topside as well -Navy Blue- should I apply a Rusto Krystal Clear Coat after it just to protect it more? maybe retain the glossyness more?

Thoughts?

Thank You

Jim