starter replacement 35hp mercury

luckvc

Recruit
I have a 1968 mercury outboard. I need to replace the starter. I need help i have tryed everything to get the starter out. Im am looking for anything to help me out

Thanks LUCKVC

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: starter replacement 35hp mercury

Ahh, yes - the pre-removeable bracket starter replacement procedure. You actually have to pull the powerhead off to get the starter out. Later models had a two-piece mounting bracket (which broke frequently). You'll need to track down a new base gasket or cut one of your own out of gasket material. Other than that it is fairly straight forward...

- Scott

luckvc

Recruit

is there any other way of replaceing the starter than takeing everything apart. The last time i had the starter replaced it only took 15min.

Mark

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

How do you know that the starter needs replacing? The reason I ask is that 3 out of 5 starters that get replaced aren't broke and the real problem is simple and easy to fix.

luckvc

Recruit

i have tryed jumping the starter. didnt turn at all

luckvc

Recruit

Thank you all for you help, I found out that you can take the sprocket off the starter and pull the starter out. Easy enough. I just replaced it and the motors starts now. I can go fishing again, Thank you all again.