2002 Honda BF90 "hunting"

cymru

Seaman
Hi,

A couple of days ago I removed a man-sized portion of the skeg, accompanied by a reprofilling of the propellor. :mad: I The boat lives in the water and I haven't yet checked the prop shaft to see if that is bent.
Maybe coincidence, but on my way back to the marina the engine seemed to be speeding and slowing slightly or "hunting". It did it from 3,000 rpm down to below 1,000 which was the speed range I used. Could the two things be related?

Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2002 Honda BF90 "hunting"

Yup. Could have ruptured the prop hub enough to allow it to slip.

cymru

Seaman

JB
Do you mean if I take off the prop from the shaft I might have two pieces in my hand?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Probably not two pieces, but maybe one piece with a hub that is not firmly attached. Prop shop can re-hub it for under $100 IF it is slipping.

cymru

Seaman

I checked the motor and the prop spins freely by hand without any perceptable eccentric motion and the rubber bush doesn't appear to be damaged (no play). However, when I started the engine in the water, the exhaust came up around the shaft, not thru the prop hub. Appeared to be coming from the cooling intake ports.There is a strong jet from the check hole.

When I hit the rock, what did I do to the bottom unit?:(