1982 Mercury 150hp with fuel issues

seth_haas

Recruit
I have found that I have water in the fuel tank and bought an aftermarket fuel water seperator and installed it. The problem now is that it will only run at a little over idle speed. Is the fuel filter restriting enough fuel from reaching the motor to run properly or is it an unrelated issue? Also, had the stator replaced 6 months ago, but it's acting like it did before the new stator was installed (runs fine in neutral but in gear barely over idle)? And while I'm at it after about five minutes of running, a warning alarm goes off. It's a constant loud beep. What does that signify? Any help is greatly appreciated with any of these issues. Thanks!!

j_martin

Admiral
Re: 1982 Mercury 150hp with fuel issues

The constant loud beep is overtemp.

You need a minimum of 60 GPH fuel/water seperator, especially if you know you have contamination.

Have you drained your tank, or are you trying to sort it out with the filter?. You're probably overwhelming the filter.

hope it helps
John

seth_haas

Recruit
Re: 1982 Mercury 150hp with fuel issues

I'm trying to sort it out with the filter. Would that cause it to overheat? It didn't do that before the filter was installed. If the fuel/water seperator is not at least a 60 gph would that cause it to bog down when in gear but idle fine? Thanks a ton!!