New to Boating

bustermin

Banned
Hi all, i just purchased my first boat, it is a 1985 17 Foot Critchfield Center Console. it is in pretty good shape, the deck is white with black splatter, i noticed in a few spots i can see glass like fibers showing, so i assume i need to re-do the deck suface, the floor itself is pretty solid, so i was wondering if all i need to do is re-paint or is it time to re-glass the entire deck. thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: New to Boating

You don't "need" to do anything, it will make no difference if the gel coat or paint has worn through. If you don't like the looks of it, you can add a new nonskid finish, lots of options, gel coat, paint, and many truck bed type coatings designed for marine use.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello buster..

I agree..you dont need to add glass.

And yes, If you wish you could roll some new skid on there.

I like to mix medium/coarse "griptex" with gel.

If you decide to go with a coating route..might want to search the forums.. there is loads of different ways and opinions on coatings. Do some research before you start glopping x y or z on there ;)

YD.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

take pics and keep us updated buster !!!!!

allways good to have a new proj on here

cheers
oops

Rickairmedic

Commander

Buster welcone to iboats Looooove your location by the way . I grew up in Tampa , Floriduuuuuuh. I finally had enough and packed u the familly and headed for the hills ( not Beverly but Kentucky ) :D. I think you will enjoy yourself here lots of great folks and all kinds of knowledge to pass around here :D.

Rick

bustermin

Banned

yes, i have to agree there seems to be quite a bit of knowledge here, i am experianced with auto and heavy equipment engines, but not too much with outboards or boat hulls. i find myself reading alot of the posts just to try and learn as much as i can so i dont make stupid rookie mistakes as i am new to boating. my wife says im addicted to this website. guess ill move on and try to get another fix from another post now. lol

fishon13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ahh Florida great memories grew up in Lauderdale. My daughter was seventh generation born there. My son first generation born in Western NC moumtains. The only thing I miss is the fishing. post some pics and good luck with the boat.