Fishing Elbow Solution

CATransplant

Admiral
So, I came up with tennis elbow in my right arm a couple of weeks ago. Hurt like the dickens when I went fishing last week, and I was worried about the rest of the season.

Finally, I realized that I had a solution just waiting to be applied. I switched sides on the handles of my spinning reels so I can cast with my left hand. Problem solved.

Since I'm left-handed anyhow, I've been casting left-handed with my baitcasters and not switching hands. So, I tried a few casts with the reversed spinning rods. No problem at all.

So, I'm off to go fishing in the morning.

I just thought that might be useful to others.

sccatfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fishing Elbow Solution

I'm right handed, but I use left handed reels. It makes more sense to me. Use your stronger hand for casting and fighting (and working artificial baits) and just reel with the other. Especially with something like bass fishing - no switching hands on every one of dozens and potentially hundreds of casts. Several right handed people I know have switched to left handed reels.

Shizzy

Ensign

great idea!

I'm right handed and cast with my left. I cant seem to work a bail or turn a crank on a reel properly with my left hand. I shift with my right, toss a ball with my right, etc....

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

...and I can't seem to run a spinning reel with the crank on the right! I have a left-crank Browning baitcaster which is a natural for me, and my only other casting-style reel is a right-crank Okuma with a line counter which I use for lead core trolling. That throws me a little bit sometimes, but I seem to have adapted. Maybe its the weight? Whenever I pick up my buddy's casting rods in the boat (which are light compared to the leadcore rod) I get all messed up trying to figure out if the reel is supposed to be on the top or the bottom.

Weird, because I can run an angled sash painting brush left or right handed!

CATransplant

Admiral

Well, I'm back from the lake, and fished with the other hand. It takes a little getting used to, but after half a dozen casts, I had the rythm down and was getting the same distance as with my right arm. Reeling with my right hand wasn't any problem.

Probably the oddest thing was picking up the line and opening the bail. It's just not what I'm used to. I made a couple hundred casts, though, and had it down by about 50.

The right arm's not nearly as sore as it was with the tennis elbow on my last trip, so this looks like a good solution.

4 largemouths, biggest about 1.5 lb. 8 Northerns, biggest about 28". A good day on this lake so early in the season.

jtcarter

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use right handed baitcast reels and keep my handle for my spinning reels for left handed use. I don't know why i started doing it that way, but i've gottten used to it over the years. Ibuprofen helps me with my arm. I'll give you another tip. I know these reels are a little more expensive, but pay attention to the weight of your rods and reels. Get the lightest ones possible. I use abu garcia revo winch reels and abu garcia skeet reese reels also for most of my baitcasting needs. Shimano open face reels balance matched with fenwick rods. Those setups are at least a couple if not a few ounces lighter than most of your standard stuff. The heavy rods and reels will wear on you over the course of a day. I fish a lot of tourneys and i'm casting a ton, the lighter gear is a god send. You can feel a difference in your arm after a day of that, for the better.

Shizzy

Ensign

Mark_VTfisherman;2128529 Weird said:
funny you would say that, Im the same way. I didnt even realize it was odd till my Pops mentioned it to me one day when were were paining a house.

Cat, glad its working for you. :cool:

Starcraftguy1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was wondering the same thing.I have nueropathy starting in my right hand,and it gets tired all the time.I will try changing my handles and casting with my left.With cheap stuf,lol.I know I can hit every snag in the lake with either hand,won't matter much.Good idea.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was wondering the same thing.I have nueropathy starting in my right hand,and it gets tired all the time.I will try changing my handles and casting with my left.With cheap stuf,lol.I know I can hit every snag in the lake with either hand,won't matter much.Good idea.

I"m a B+ club tennis player so I am quite familiar with all kinds of post game pains at elbow and shoulder which comes back when spincasting.

Not wanting to quit tennis for fishing ... nor visa versa ... I solved that problem by using a 2 handed casting motion. The right hand at the reel (as we all do) and the left hand at the tip of the rod handle .... = end of arm pain when fishing.

I actualy got tipped by watching a TV fishing show ... the pro was doing just that. Worked for me.

Cheers

yrsouth

Cadet

I switched to a 2 handed cast and that works for me. Get a little ribbing now and again though. Flipping doesn't seem to bother my elbow. Guess it must be a repetitive motion thing.

MudSkunk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i got a strange style. i cast with my right hand and reel with my right hand. i can do either but it just feels more natural to do it like that. i use lures from time to time but i have never liked that sort of fishing. im more of a cast it out there and let it sit kinda person. i fish for catfish a lot as i enjoy eating catfish and the style of fishing is what i like as well. so casting and swithicng hands isnt that big a deal for me.