How to remove lower unit from 30HP Johnson outboard

sdreffs

Seaman Apprentice
I can not find an access panel to disconnect the shift rod. The only access panel I could find is at the bottom of the leg, on the lower unit. I was told this is for adjusting the forward and reverse. Do all Johnson's have an access panel for disconnecting the shift rod? Maybe I am overlooking something?
Thanks

crxess

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to remove lower unit from 30HP Johnson outboard

Dependent on year.

side access panel
Remove power head
Disconnect at shift handle
Split lower and separate rod halves in coupler

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

30HPREMOVELOWER.jpg

the connection is in the opening, remove the top nut, slide up, then remove the angled compression ferrel, now slide nut off. unit will drop.

sdreffs

Seaman Apprentice

Does the pump housing have to come off to allow for the nut on the shift rod to come through?

crxess

Chief Petty Officer

Shift the selector to pull the motor side rod up.
This should allow room to remove the Farrel and slide the nut off.

The motor side rod doesn't slide out. it is connected up top.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Please look at picture, I have disconnected the nut and fitting but the rod will not slide out. It looks like the nut on the motor side (left side on picture) hits on the water pump housing, is there something I am doing wrong?:confused:

http://s681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/sdreffs/?action=view&current=SNC00053.jpg

Did you get the tiny plastic keeper off that's in there? You have to remove it to get the nut of. I have an '81 35hp which is the same engine before they derated it.

sutherh

Recruit

Timely thread for me, after struggling thinking I need to disconnect from the top I read it and thought AHA...but after playing around for awhile and trying to slip it off, I realize it is a split type ferrule, and I scored it abit with my pliers. Just thought for the next guy this would be good info. Now back to my impeller job....