79 Mercury 150HP - Multiple Issues

sgamos

Recruit
I had acceleration issues with my 79 Mercury 150HP outboard (on my 85 Glastron) last season where it would bog down and sometimes die when trying to pull up a skiier. It had no issues when easing into the throttle. I thought it was carb issues so before boating season this year I took it to a certified shop for a tune up.

Mechanic said when I brought it in, the motor was only running on 4 cylinders, he said after he fixed that another problem was revealed where the stator rubs on the flywheel (probably bad upper bearing or non balanced crankshaft). Didnt make much sense to me that making the motor run on all 6 cylinders would create an inbalance, but Im not an outboard mechanic. Mechanic suggested that I run the motor a couple times and monitor the condition of the stator. Also note that during its time in the shop, the motor got a new stator/flywheel assembly (with a new part # since the old one was superceded).

So I took it out last weekend and used my kicker motor for 3 hrs of great trout fishing. Then started the Mercury. I spent a good 10-15 mins letting it warm up, I then attempted to do a fast start (pretending to pull up a skiier) and the motor still bogged down and died. It continued that way. Total run time less than 30 mins. When I got to my garage I removed the cowl and removed the flywheel. The stator is pretty much destroyed, with magnetic chucks of material everywhere.

Does anyone in this forum have an oppinion on what could be causing this rubbing of the stator to the flywheel?

Also, how about the bogging down when trying to pull a skiier up?

I think its time for a new power head, or a new Yamaha 150.

Thank you very much!