Help with New Ignition Switch!!!

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer
Hi All, just bought a new Sea Choice ignition switch. I figured it would be pretty easy to go wire by wire from my old one, wrong! I did the best I could with labeling the below, can anyone offer me any advice? The only difference I saw was and S and an I. When I hooked up the new one, it just did nothing on turning key. 1996 130hp Johnson Looper.

The wire colors have changed drastically over the years from whoever wired it. Old is on the left, new on the right. What damage could I do if it is hooked up wrong? I have done allot of basic wiring, but never an ignition switch.

Thanks in advance!

Scuda

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 0
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with New Ignition Switch!!!

The old switch was a universal type that could be used for both a battery/coil ignition (I/O engines) or a magneto ignition (outboard). For your outboard you do not use the "I" terminal. You do use the two "M" (magneto terminals). S=Starter solenoid (small terminal on the solenoid), C=choke (primer), A=accessory (feed to the gauges), and B=Battery + (+12 volts from the battery via the engine harness). It wire colors have been changed you need to get acquainted with an ohm meter.

Scuda11

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Silvertip! I appreciate the info. I am "not bad" with an Ohm meter, and should be able to diagnose it. Is there any resource for me to figure out which should read which with an ohm meter? I am pretty sure I also have a few wires in there that don't even need to be there!

Thanks again!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

What are you trying to read? The switch contacts or the wires going to it? If you didn't mark the wires when you took them off the old switch and the wire colors were changed by someone, then it is essential you know how to use a test light, voltmeter, and/or ohm meter.

B = Use a test light or voltmeter and check the wires for +12 volts. That wire goes to the "B" (battery) terminal.

S = Look at the wire on the small terminal on the starter solenoid. Note it's color. Now go up front and see if you can find that color wire with another color spliced to it. Use an ohm meter to verify that is the start solenoid wire and then connect it to the "S" terminal. To verify, turn the key to START. If the engine cranks you have it right. If not, you don't and must search some more.

M = these are the two magneto wires that are shorted together when you turn the key off. One will be tied into the kill switch if you have one.

C = choke/primer. This terminal feeds the choke or primer solenoid and is active when the key is pushed in when cranking the engine. Again, look at the choke or primer solenoid wire and follow it to the terminal block. From there it should be the same color on the other end.

"I" = You don't use that terminal on a two stroke outboard. If you did, you ran the risk of backfeeding +12 volts into the ignition system.

NOTE: There is a fuse at the engine that you may have blown. Fix the wiring first, then check that fuse. It is probably blown.

If you still can't get this to work, then you really need a service manual specific to your engine.