De-Winterizing Process? What else?

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class
So last year I didn't have the time to winterize my boat myself, so a mechanic from a local marina stopped by and did it for me. He put anti-freeze in the block, and fogged the engine. He didn't pull the outdrive or change any of the lower unit oil or anything.

So, what should be done this year to catch this engine up to speed? Here are things I remember reading about doing:

-Remove prop and grease spindles
-Change lower unit drive Oil
-Visually inspect Bellows
-Grease everything
-Change Engine Oil and Filter change
-Fuel water separator?

Are these the things I should do? The boat was bought last season with 23 hours on it, and I put maybe 10 hours on it last season so it is around 33 hours or so.

Can you guys let me know what I should be doing to get it ready for the season?

Thanks

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: De-Winterizing Process? What else?

All of that needs done, and don;t forget the tune up. Plugs that get fogged may not produce peak spark any more.

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips. So what else is done during a tune up? New spark plugs? what else?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

With only 33 hours on it i would do all of the above.
I doubt it needs new plug wires,cap and rotor yet.
Do your list so far and see how it runs...

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tip. So let me ask, the last guy filled the manifold with antifreeze, should I drain this out prior to starting, or will be simply flush out when I put the ear muffs on and go to start it?

Also, should I be replacing the impeller at this time, or think that is ok with 33 hours?

enginesilo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did everything today, changed the lower unit oil, engine oil, greased the spindles and a bunch of other small stuff. Took the boat out for a few hours and it ran great.

I bought new plugs so i'll probably throw them in, even though it ran great.

Now it is time to paint the bottom and wax her up!